Saturday, November 15, 2008

Sarcasm


Okay, so I was talking to a very good friend of mine, Sandy, on the phone yesterday. She said that my blog reads like we never have any problems with our kids, they never fight, and our house is always harmonious. She says that I should "keep it real". Well this post is for her, even though she knows first hand what it is really like in my house!

Here are some things you should know about me and my family:

I am probably the most sarcastic person you will ever meet, except maybe my husband. We don't really try to be sarcastic, actually it is quite the opposite, but it always seems to come out that way. So over the years we have just embraced this quality about each other and tried to make the most of it!

Well as you can probably guess our sarcasm has come out in our parenting. We have tried very hard to shield the kids from this horrible habit that we have, but it has been to no avail. I suppose you can't even fool your kids. (I actually secretly love it that my 4.5 year old understands sarcasm, and can use it correctly. But don't tell him that, I still have to be his mom, right?)

There are a lot of other things you should know about our family, but I am going to stop there for now. I could go on and on about our flaws, but, this post is going somewhere and I know I am losing you, so...

I don't remember when this actually took place, but this story is HILARIOUS! and it characterizes our household pretty well.

Ben does something to Emily. Emily is mad and screaming, I am about to lose my mind because this has been going on all day. But I somehow pull it all together and tell Ben to apologize to his sister and the following interchange takes place:

B: (air quotes)"sorry" (dripping with sarcasm)
E: mommy, he is being carcastic again! (more whiny than any mom can really handle at any time)
(mom and dad on the side lines trying hard not to crack up and high five each other because we have obviously taught him well)
M: Ben, TELL YOUR SISTER YOU ARE SORRY, and MEAN IT! Emily, STOP WHINING!
D: Both of you go to your room.
B&E (simultaneously): "sorry" (then stomp out of the room)
Mom turns to dad: did you see that? he even used it correctly! he is so smart!
D: he IS gifted!

So just in case you were wondering...we are totally normal.

No comments: